A nearly 100 year old building in Palestine is getting a new lease on life thanks to a group of town residents.
Palestine’s Fife Opera house was built in 1902 and was the site of vaudeville shows, plays, and many community events.
David Fife was the town undertaker and built the structure with a hardware store on the ground floor and a theater upstairs.
The auditorium had a capacity of 400 but because of no fire escapes it was closed just 13 years after opening because Fife didn’t like the government telling him what to do.
Many historical artifacts have been found left behind in the building.
With help from a grant the Fife Opera House will be come an important living part of Palestine again.
Already some events including wedding receptions are scheduled at the building.